It may be that, in your third year of studies, you do not want to specialise in a single scientific subject. By reading Part II Physical Sciences, you can continue to develop a broader knowledge of the sciences than a Part II single subject may provide. The Part II Physical Sciences course is designed for:
- students who would prefer to follow a broader curriculum in physical sciences than that offered in other Part II courses; or
- students who have decided on a career more suited to a broad scientific background and have concluded that a more research-oriented single subject Part II would not meet their needs.
You will offer TWO separate subjects, ONE subject from Group A and ONE subject from Group B (subject to the Restrictions listed below).
- Half Subject Chemistry
- Half Subject Geological Sciences*
- Half Subject Physics
Half Subjects typically consist of half of the lectures courses and practical work of the corresponding Part II subject.
Further details are given below.
- Part IB Animal Biology
- Part IB Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Part IB Cell and Developmental Biology
- Part IB Chemistry A
- Part IB Chemistry B
- Part IB Ecology
- Part IB Experimental Psychology
- Part IB Geological Sciences A*
- Part IB Geological Sciences B*
- Part IB History and Philosophy of Science
- Part IB Materials Science
- Part IB Mathematics
- Part IB Neurobiology
- Part IB Pathology
- Part IB Pharmacology
- Part IB Physics A
- Part IB Physics B
- Part IB Physiology
- Part IB Plant and Microbial Sciences
In addition you will offer a dissertation of 5,000 words on a topic approved by the Head of the Department in which you are offering the Half Subject.
In the final examination, maximum marks are as follows:
Half Subject 60, Part IB Subject 25, Dissertation 15.
- Some combinations may be difficult to timetable; you are advised to discuss permissable combinations that have timetable clashes with your Director of Studies.
- You can NOT read any subject you have previously read in Part IB of the Natural Sciences Tripos.
- Half Subject Chemistry may not be offered unless you have previously offered either Chemistry A or Chemistry B in Part IB of the Tripos.
- Half Subject Physics may not be offered unless you have previously offered Physics A or B in Part IB of the Tripos.
- Half Subject Geological Sciences* may not be offered unless you have previously offered either Geological Sciences A or Geological Sciences B in Part IB of the Tripos.
Further Information on Courses
* From October 2015 Geological Sciences will be renamed Earth Sciences