skip to content

Natural Sciences Tripos


Cambridge has a network of mechanisms for support and guidance of students through the Cambridge Student Support webpage

Student support is one of the primary functions of the college tutorial system and in most cases, you should first broach any problems with your Director of Studies or your Tutor. These problems can range from academic ones (e.g. difficulties with the course or illness which interferes with your studies) to personal problems of health, motivation and finance. In nearly every case, your College is the best place to begin, because they have the knowledge and experience to advise you, and the contacts within the University and the authority to intercede on your behalf.

Cambridge exam rules and regulations make provision for cases of illness or other misfortune. If you encounter any kind of illness or other impediment to exam preparation, the sooner you inform your College Tutor, the better. Formal liaison between a student and the central administration, particularly in matters relating to examinations, must be conducted through a College Tutor.

Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre

The Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre (ADRC) provides a confidential and accessible service for disabled students and those staff supporting them:

Staff will provide advice and guidance for disabled students to enable them to access a wide range of services, and to identify and remove barriers to equitable learning opportunities.

Please note: Student Support Documents issued by the ADRC may recommend examination adjustments.  This information is for advisory purposes only and does not constitute an application for exam access arrangements, which must be applied for via college tutorial offices.  If you have any queries regarding this matter please contact or your Tutorial Office.


Confidential Sources of Advice


Mental Health

The University Counselling Service has Mental Health Advisors who offer a range of interventions to students experiencing moderate to severe mental health difficulties.

Information on other forms of support can be found on the Student Wellbeing pages.

The Student Union Advice Service also has a comprehensive list of organisations external to the University that offer support and advice, including NHS Mental Health Support Services in Cambridge.


Student Complaints Procedure

The University is committed to high quality of educational and other provision for students, and encourages students to say where there is cause for concern in individual or general matters. It undertakes to take such representation seriously. The University aims to handle complaints in a way which is sympathetic, fair, and efficient, which encourages informal conciliation, facilitates early resolution, maintains individual privacy and confidentiality, and permits useful feedback.

The Students Complaints Procedure webpage details the procedure to follow if you wish to express dissatisfaction about the standard of service provided by the University.